Project title: The existence of God. Research on ontological proofs.
Principal investigator: Mirosław Szatkowski
Funding Organization: National Science Centre in Poland
Project Volume: 125.000 PLN ≈ 30.000 €
Project Duration: Juli 2013 – June 2016
Host Institution: Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Philosophy and Sociology
The problem of the existence of God is one of the oldest and most challenging problems in philosophy. On the one hand, it fascinates and provokes further study, on the other hand – raises an opposition and provokes a criticism. The arguments for and against the existence of God, raise a number of issues of epistemology, ontology, logic, theory of value, and many other disciplines.Ontological arguments for the existence of God are just one of many types of arguments. In fact, in the philosophical literature are distinguished – among many others – yet: transcendental, cosmological, teleological, and moral arguments. But there are also many types of ontological arguments.
Aim of the project
In our research project, we will treat the Gödel’s ontological argument and its various versions. So called Anderson-like ontological arguments will be defined and possible worlds semantics for them will be constructed. We will also study the ontological commitments of semantic structures. In particular, the draft will be considered:
1. Ontological arguments with the corresponding object-oriented (with constant and world-relative domains) semantics.
2. Ontological arguments with the corresponding conceptual (with constant and world-relative domains) semantics.
3. Ontological arguments with the corresponding substantial (with constant and world-relative domains) semantics.
4. Ontological arguments with the corresponding “counterpart” (with constant and world-relative domains) semantics.
5. A significant part of the project will be devoted to reading the concept of omniscience of God in the context of the results of modern meta-mathematics.
The notified project is an interdisciplinary undertaking. The problem of the existence of God and His attributes is treated from the point of view of ontology, logic and meta-mathematics.
Impact of results
Interdisciplinary research concerning the existence of God and His attributes are worth taking and dissemination. In fact, many onto/logical and meta-mathematical results can and should be taken into account in the study of theology. It seems that the notified project will contribute to the dissemination of this type of research. International conference: „God, Truth and other Enigmas” (Warsaw, 17 – 19 September 2013) and Ontological Workshops envisaged in the draft seems to be also very helpful for achieving the tasks outlined in the project.